Friday, March 18, 2011

Little Bits Of Joy

Okay so I know my last post was probably incredibly depressing as I got a lot of texts and emails regarding it. I'm sorry about that, but blogging has been very therapeutic I've found. I woke up the next morning and already had just a little more peace then the day before. I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. ☺

This week, my husband and I decided we needed to go out on a mini date just to clear our heads and try to just hear each others thoughts. So, an amazing friend of mine that I have only now known for about a year and her fiance watched the kids while we went out. She is not a mommy yet herself, but I am not kidding this gal is one of the most natural moms I have ever seen to this day. The kids absolutely adore her and her hubby-to-be. The even more exciting part is that this couple, whom we are proud to call good friends, have asked my husband to marry them next month. What an honor. My husband was just about brought to tears when they asked him, and actually they said that they would not have anyone else do it. It just reminds me that amidst trial and suffering as long as we are open to look, we can still find little bits of joy all around us. Thank you Lord.

So back to mini date night. My husband and I went out and got a lovely margarita and some tacos at a favorite spot. It is always such a strange feeling walking into a restaurant holding my husband's hand as opposed to a tiny two year old hand and we seem to always have to work hard to not only talk about the kids when we are out. It's always a fun challenge. After dinner, our date night brought us none other than grocery shopping. I know this sounds so silly, but we knew this was something that we needed to do, and honestly, just getting out and doing anything together was all we cared about. So Albertsons happened to be the store of choice.

We walked in and my husband took charge of the cart and I grabbed a box of cereal and was about to throw it in when he promptly stopped me. His next comment took me by surprise as he informed me that he was in charge of loading the cart and I was only allowed to hand him items. I absolutely cracked up and gave him a look of utter confusion. He then went on to explain to me that he needs to be the one to organize the cart and that he has seen how I load a cart and basically, my skills just won't do. WOW. In four years of marriage I don't think we had been grocery shopping together more than maybe a handful of times and here I was learning something new about my husband! I loved it. Let me tell you, he is ridiculous when it comes to loading a shopping cart! He then informed me that he sees how I load the dishwasher and that's bad enough. I have to explain that he was not telling me in a degrading way, and I didn't take it that way. It was a very serious comment made in a very funny way. I found it hysterical. Oh the little joys. I had no idea for four years of marriage that I had a shopping cart Nazi of a husband. 

So there we were taking our time shopping on our date night. I merely spoke things into the cart and he handled the rest. We even had discussions on oatmeal brands, his hate for pretzels, and I learned that he only will buy one kind of hotdog. It was quite the date night.

After shopping we headed home to release our friends from duty and I just took in the night. I loved getting away from the stress of life as we know it and just going back to the two of us. We were able to talk through the tough stuff and then just be goofballs that we are and enjoy spending time with each other. Little bits of joy. That was my lesson. Life is going to be filled with ups and downs and some of the downs are easily so tough that joy is literally impossible to see. But you have to be willing to look. To not give up. I love this verse on joy... "But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you." Psalm 5:11.

It's funny because as I'm thinking back to getting off Facebook only a few months ago, I find it very interesting timing. I felt the Lord telling me to separate myself from Facebook and put my focus on Him just in time for a major trial to enter my life. Like I have mentioned, I don't believe in coincidence. I believe the Lord has been preparing my heart and how awesome is that. Talk about a bit of joy.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33. ♥

1 comment:

  1. Love you guys, thanks for sharing! So glad you got to spend some time alone together. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm blessed by your sweet words!

They inspire and encourage me to keep sharing my story...

Thank you.

♥Heather