Thursday, April 4, 2013

Scrambled Egg Syndrome

It's 5:25 am. I'm trying something new.
 
I'm awake before my house.
 
Despite a night with an 8 month old that still has no interest in sleeping through the night, I knew that today something was going to change.
 
I'm drinking my warm cup of black coffee in my anthropology mug and savoring every sip more than usual.
 
I prayed for my day.
 
I prayed for some of you.
 
I just read Proverbs 4.
 
I even had a far too peppy song jump into my head at 5:05 as I rolled myself out of bed into the darkness.
 
"Rise and shine.. and give God the glory, glory!"
 
Maybe you remember that jingle.
 
I then felt like the Lord said, "write."
 
So here I am. With an hour before the kids rise, tapping away. Smiling.
 
I don't have any idea what exactly I'm supposed to be writing on today, but I can tell you all a little bit about how I've been feeling lately and some of my friends know this, but I like to coin it the scrambled egg syndrome.
 
My life seems to be this mix of so many different blessings with work, family, church, friendships, and I often feel that I never come out sunny side up. I just go through each day trying my best to enjoy the moments, but truly feeling like everything is so scrambled together that I have moments where I just want to sit down and say, what on earth am I doing here?! What is my purpose for this day!? I feel like I'm not doing anything to my best ability.
 
Last week I was so scrambled that I drove my kids to school on Friday telling them all about Good Friday, to arrive to a playground that was a ghost town. It should have occurred to me that there was no school on Good Friday.
 
Scrambled.  
 
I then blame shift a lot to my "mommy brain."
 
My closest family and friends can tell when this scrambled egg syndrome is setting in because I get so stressed over the smallest of things. My plate is so full, but honestly, most everything on my plate has been placed there with full intent by Him. I cannot manage it all on my own. I was never intended to.
 
Yesterday it came as plain as can be to me. The fix for this scrambled egg syndrome is learning to tithe with my time.
 
Tithe with my time.
 
Tithe with my time.
 
"My son, pay attention to what I say,
Listen closely to my words.
Do not let them out of your sight.
Keep them within your heart.
For they are life to those who find them
and health to a man's whole body."
Proverbs 4:20-22
 
As I read these words this morning I wanted to fall to my knees.
 
God is so good my friends.
 
I know in my days of scrambled eggs I need the word, but sometimes I forget just how important it is. For me, although I love doing the bible-in-a-year app, I need more. I need the time to sit and dive into Proverbs and truly read and let my heart settle on these words.
 
I need to truly give a portion of my day to my Lord and if that means getting up before my house, so be it. No more excuses.
 
These words are health to my body.
 
I feel like this idea of tithing my time is truly so key. God has blessed me with so much and I want to truly show him with the most precious commodity how thankful I am.
 
As a wife, mommy of 3, and business owner I can assure you my most precious commodity is my time. Therefore, this is what I will tithe.
 
Some days it might be 30 minutes, other days it might be an hour and a half. I don't honestly know.
 
And I'm sure there are going to be days that I fail, and I already know the outcome.
 
Scrambled.
 
I am not a morning person, but guess what, I'm going to try this whole morning thing out. Because I hear there is something magical about this time.
 
"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter til the full light of day." Proverbs 4:18
 
Pray for me? Please?
 
Time to go start the laundry and it's only 6:09 am.
 
Ahhh... I think I can get used to this.
 
I'll give you all a follow up soon...
 
 
Here's my 8 month old that still enjoys waking up all night.
 
I will someday miss this right?

That's what I keep telling myself.
 
XO.
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I feel like this all the time. I keep hoping one day I will feel like I have it together again. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I feel like you've captured the feelings of many women. I'll pray for you this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this for so many reasons! This is exactly how I've been feeling lately & as I was reading this I truly felt God speaking to me! I need to tithe my time. That's the perfect answer to all of this. Thank you for sharing, I truly enjoy reading all your posts & I will pray for you ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'm blessed by your sweet words!

They inspire and encourage me to keep sharing my story...

Thank you.

♥Heather