Thursday, January 20, 2011

Back In Business

I never start with the title of my post. Mostly because I have no idea what I'm going to write about until my fingers hit the keys. It's now been almost a week since I have blogged and I am happy to be back.

Our house, like many others with young kids, was hit with sickness for the past week. My daughter started it off with the stomach flu and then my son got the typical runny nose that I like to call the faucet. It's amazing how much "junk" that can come out of that tiny 9 month old nose. This nose issue turned into a double ear infection.. the second one this month. Anyways, we entered the weekend with two sick kids and then while my husband took a quick jaunt to the store, did I really just use the word jaunt? That was so weird. I'll just leave it. lol. Well, during this "jaunt," I picked up my daughter to give her some medicine and out went my back. I was so irritated in the very moment it happened. I felt the surge of pain between my shoulder blades. For me, I always seem to throw my back out in this particular place. Wonderful. Now I was the cripple mom trying to take care of two sick kids. Thankfully, my husband came home to release me from any picking up children duties and I was forced to lay down. I could not pick up the house, clean much of anything, get laundry done or make dinner. Isn't that interesting. After going on all last week about how productive I was being and how much I was getting done with my new life without Facebook I was literally now crippled and back to square one.

Over the weekend I was frustrated and in pain and finally got to my holistic chiropractor Monday evening for an appointment. Once again he put me back together through acupressure and other amazing ways of turning on muscles and resetting my brain. I know it may sound crazy, but this man has fixed me from every gymnastics injury I have ever had, along with car accidents and my thrown out back incidents that have occurred more recently with having two children that I swear sometimes I look at them and feel like they are half my size.. this isn't that surprising to most of you that know my 5'1 (on a good day) frame. Okay anyways. So my back is almost fully healed and here I am now thinking about everything that happened this past week. One of my favorite sayings instantly now comes to mind. Pride comes before a fall. In Proverbs 16:18 it says: "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."  I don't know if that verse will strike you like it has me many, many, times but if I'm looking for a possible reason as to why my household would instantly fall to pieces after I was doing so good at everything last week, I think this could be a lesson learned.  Pride I feel can have such positive and negative connotations. I mean, I think it's great to have pride in what you do... to have self-respect, but if it leads to arrogance and an excessively high opinion of oneself then that is where the negatives set in.

So, last week as I was writing and okay, okay I suppose bragging a bit about my new "productive lifestyle" I suppose pride could have sneaked in there a tad. Therefore, I was instantly reminded in the days to follow that at any moment this "productive lifestyle" could be taken away. Humbling, I must say. I like to think about things, learn lessons and move on. I'd rather not dwell on my prideful week, but also tell more positive stories that came out of my recent decision that confirmed to me that I truly made the right choice.

If you remember my Top 10 Reasons I Miss Being On Facebook, my number two reason was that I was concerned that I did not have as many views on my Raving Tans Facebook page. Like I have said, Facebook has been one of the key links to my little mommy hobby's success in the past 6 months. I gained over 1,000 fans, held contests, regularly sparked conversations, etc. It has been a fantastic tool. I at first didn't even feel like I should post on the Raving Tans Facebook page at all, because of not wanting to "cheat" at my 365 days without it. A good friend told me, "Just remember that the point (of my decision to not be on Facebook) wasn't a punishment. You weren't doing something wrong. Just a challenge to better yourself, try new things, experiment. Hey, maybe with the extra time you can grow your business more!" Exactly. Although, I could probably think of quite a few things I was doing wrong by spending too much time on it, her words still rang true. Plus, I originally stated that I was not going to get rid of that page, that I was only challenging myself to the year without a personal Facebook page. As you may have read in my Losing The Mullet post, I decided to only post once a week. Although I knew this was going to take a hit on my views, I felt like it was the best way for me to approach the situation.

Anyways, I was beginning to feel worried about it and I'm not kidding you, the very next day I was contacted by two different San Diego magazines that want to interview me regarding my Raving Tans business. I seriously sat back and laughed, and I hope this doesn't come across as prideful, because it is not my intentions. It was as if right when I was feeling like maybe this whole getting off Facebook thing was a bad idea and would end up hurting my business, the Lord reminded me that blessing will always follow obedience. "All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God." Deuteronomy 28:2. I just love how the Lord works. It's like in the same week that I was taught that I need to be careful of my pride I was also rewarded.

Like I mentioned, I had no idea that this is where today's blog post was headed, but it seems like when I sit down and quietly give myself time to think over things that have happened it's amazing how much is revealed. Oh I feel like I have so much more to write on this week alone! I will save it for another post tomorrow. As for now, time to unload my Pilot from the always daunting Costco trip I had to take this morning. Running out of baby wipes before breakfast ended in me spending so much more than I had planned on "essential things" at Costco. Costco... I will also save you for another post. ♥

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! And congrats to you on the magazine thing! That is so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm blessed by your sweet words!

They inspire and encourage me to keep sharing my story...

Thank you.

♥Heather