Friday, September 2, 2011

Facebookless for 238 Days and Counting

I can hardly believe it! 238 days!? Precisely, it's been that long since I have had a personal Facebook page, commented on someone's wall, or even "liked" a picture in someone's album. Still I have many friends forget that I'm not on there and then they ask me about an event and I have no clue as to what they are talking about and they say..."Ohhh, that's right, you're not on Facebook." It doesn't happen as often anymore. I really don't mind telling people I don't have Facebook. I don't get as many shocked faces as I did when I was getting off the social networking phenomenon. I think to people that never knew me as my totally social networking addicted self, they don't know any different, and if I am not on Facebook, it's not that big of a deal. Stopping something is when you usually get most of the "flack" if you will, not for not doing something in the first place. Does that make sense? Sometimes these sentences sound so much better in my head and actually typing them out I wonder if the thought is really getting across the same way. lol.

Anyways, I have, like I mentioned kept up my business page and I have been pretty good at only posting once a week. Recently, I did break that rule in order to post a few more times to get votes for a contest and such, but in all honesty, my heart has really changed on the subject of Facebook. I truly don't have an urge to be on it. I don't post on my business page secretly hoping people will comment on every post and "like" every photo. It's truly business minded. Marketing. Free advertising. I know how much having a Facebook page can effect business. Having that page is what really launched my little mommy hobby to begin with! So if I do decide to post a few times a week it's not because I'm fighting this urge to get my social networking out, it's because I want to get my name out there a few more times that week. To be honest, most of the week I forget though. I don't think about posting during the week because it's not a habit anymore. Mondays are set in my brain and the rest of the week it almost feels unnatural at this point to post! Crazy how much we can train our own brains in such a short amount of time. And to all that were wondering if this blog would be my next outlet to occupy by need for social networking I can wholeheartedly say that it hasn't. Sometimes weeks go by without a post and although I do love writing and sharing experiences, this is not something that consumes me. I successfully use almost every naptime that I have to myself. And if I choose to post in that time a couple days, wonderful! But, it's not something I have to do.

I've decided now that it has been over 6 months to revisit my posts back in January and see if my outlook has changed when it comes to what I miss about Facebook and what I don't miss. You can read these posts by clicking here and here. And just to clarify, those that are possibly new to my blog, these are my reasons, and my reasons alone. I don't think by any means that FB is the devil, and I don't encourage everyone to deactivate, as I did. This was a personal decision. Something that needed to change for me. So I hope you can understand my heart on this if you haven't followed my journey since the beginning.

Alright, I'll start with the Top 10 Reasons I Do Not Miss FB, and looking back I can still fully agree with all of my statements. I do get my laundry done better than I did before, I am cooking now 4 times a week, I don't ever have a thought to "creep" someone's page because it isn't even an option. I almost completely forgot what it feels like to have that scatterbrain feeling I spoke of as I'd read through the newsfeed almost every morning before my feet even hit the floor. I don't know what people are doing all the time and to be honest this just makes me feel like I don't have anyone I have to compare myself to. It's an amazingly freeing feeling. I'm living my life for the Lord, my family, my children and for me. Not for everyone else. I think I've even been more patient with people and less judgmental. I absolutely HATE being judgmental and work to not be judgmental, but we all have seen the posts from people and wonder "What are they thinking!?" or "Why would they post that?!" and isn't that a form of being judgmental? I think so. It has forced me to only think about a person from what I know of them in person, our direct contact with each other. Does that makes sense? Another one of those statements that sound better in my head. ☺

Okay, carrying on... now to re-visit the Top 10 Reasons I Miss FB. Most of these things I still miss. I do miss not seeing pictures of my friends' kids growing up. I've been better about play dates and sometimes I've even, like last night, while texting a friend asked them to send me a pic of their baby. I know it sounds silly, but then I get to see a small glimpse into their world and share that joy of parenting along with them. I did install this app called Instagram and that is kinda fun to upload pics to, but I only have like 3 people on there, because, yet again, in order to find people that also share this app, it asks you to log-in to your Facebook page. Too funny... Okay, back to what I miss. I still miss not knowing everyone's birthdays! I even missed my cousin's birthday by a few days and felt so horrible!! I wish I could have everyone text me their birthdays! Actually, if you are reading this, stop, pick up your phone and text me your birthday!!! Or add a comment. :) I want to know! I love birthdays and love to remember people on their birthday. It's ONE special day we all get a year! Ya know?! As for most of the rest of the list of what I initially missed, well, I've adapted. I don't go to FB to find my news, I ask my husband. LOL. No really, I do ask him most of the time or I sign on to Foxnews. I don't post encouraging things on FB, but I do post prayer requests, and hopefully encouraging things on this blog and I feel like it is even better because more of my thoughts can be seen on a certain subject. My heart is in these posts.

Well, speaking of posts, this one is being cut short due to a little 17 month old that is now trying to tell the world that his naptime is over. But, all in all, I must say although I do miss certain things about FB, when I weigh the positives and the negatives, I'm still completely content in this journey of being Facebookless for 365 days... who knows... maybe more...♥

Leaving you all with a few photos from our walk yesterday...

One happy boy out of the cast!

I hope she always takes time to smell the flowers.

iPhone doesn't do this justice! lol.

My Sawyer, 17 months.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! You are such an inspiration. I love how you said, "Crazy how much we can train our own brains in such a short amount of time" - so true! And I agree with the birthday thing. I have a horrible memory as it is, and the only thing I love about FB is knowing everyone's birthdays. Aside from that, it really ain't that big of a deal. It's not even real life. Real life is picking up the phone, dropping by with donuts and flowers, (lol), play dates, coffee dates, etc... So here's my birthday - December 31st. May I have yours? Thanks for sharing your life with us! Your blog is a pleasure to read and I am often convicted by it. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really intrigued by this no facebook thing! :0) FB and I have a love-hate relationship, much like you did when you had yours. Sometimes I'd love to be done with it because it is just such a time stealer! Then again, so is blogging. :0) But I'd NEVER give that up. :0)
    You're lucky you got of FB when you did... it's waaaaaaay crazy now that they've added all this new stuff. I'm thinking about being done with it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, I would encourage ANYONE to at least take a FB fast! Even just for 30 days. It's amazing when you realize JUST how much time you spend on it! Or maybe that's just me. :) But yes, blogging can end up being the same addiction! All about moderation and making sure these social media networks don't become idols in our houses! Wishing you ALL the best! Thanks for your thoughts! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'm blessed by your sweet words!

They inspire and encourage me to keep sharing my story...

Thank you.

♥Heather